By B2B Content Marketing content we mean:
88% of B2B marketers use content marketing as part of their overall marketing efforts and with the massive surge in content focused activity, marketing noise is ‘louder’ than it has ever been before. Our lives are saturated with content. From social media to blogs, vlogs, infographics and case studies, white papers and user-generated content in the form of reviews. Content makes the world go round.
And so as a business that produces B2B content marketing collateral, what can you do to ensure you are getting the biggest bang for your buck/resource/budget?
Below I have put together some B2B content marketing best practice advice for your consideration.
The Devil is in the Data… and planning
How can you engage with your audience/customers if you don’t know what they want? As a general rule, we say that 75% of content creation should be data driven. The other 25% can be shaped by current affairs & company news etc
Keyword research used to be free and easy (if you knew what you were doing) via Google Adwords. Now, recognising how valuable the data is the service is no longer free. In our opinion, all web content needs to be optimised to relevant keywords to make it work as hard for you as possible.
Bring some order to your content and create a content schedule. Just use a spreadsheet! Don’t over complicate things
- Plan a quarter at a time
- Generate blog ideas with keywords in mind
- Plot significant dates within your industry e.g Education/term times, Automotive / new registrations
- Consider days of interest
- Keep an eye on current affairs
Once you get the traffic to your website, understanding your site data and visitor behaviour is imperative. If you don’t have an agency looking after your analytics, we strongly suggest that you use some internal resource and give them time to train and become an expert. Here is one to get you started.
Simple Sentences – Deeper Detail.
Easy to read & digest (the bullet point is your friend) but more in depth about the topic of interest. B2B audiences are looking to learn.
While it goes against the grain of those literary geniuses out there, writing for the web has its own set of commandments. Sentences should be short and simple and where possible use the present tense. To underpin the importance of this advice, it’s important to mention that Yoast SEO use the flesch reading scale as one of their key page effectiveness measures.
“The Flesch readability score uses the sentence length (number of words per sentence) and the number of syllables per word in an equation to calculate the reading ease. Texts with a very high Flesch reading ease score (about 100) are very easy to read.”
That said you shouldn’t scrimp on insights. Use stats and sitings to backup your blog, case study, white paper or review. Orbitmedia reports that the length of the average blog post is up 19% to about 1050 words. In summary present, a well rounded USEFUL blog and your customers (and Google) will thank you.
Timing is everything.
60% of marketers say blog content creation is their top inbound marketing priority. And so if the resource is being spent, it is key to make sure that the timing is right.
Broadly speaking content is better received by B2B audiences when shared midweek. That said take a look at your website analytics and social insights and learn from them. This will show you peaks and troughs of interest and you’ll soon get a good idea of your prime posting time.
It can be hard creative writing for a business. so these writing tips should help you be more focused and productive! There is no right or wrong way to write. Every writer takes a different approach.
Over time your business evolves. You refine who your audience is, what you offer and your brand voice. Google and other search engines also change. Their algorithms change in line with what they believe people want to see online and their search behaviours. It is down to this that it is essential that you periodically review or remove outdated content.
Unless you have been living off the grid since 2010, it is safe to assume that you are aware that content marketing is essential for any business that wants a healthy online presence. From social media to blogging, website copy through to email campaigns, content...
Any idea how your website stacks up against your competitors?
Get a clearer picture with a FREE website analysis report