When to consider a wordpress multisite
Author Polly Buckland
Tues 28th August 2018
More and more, we are seeing clients with the requirement for a multisite set-up. As businesses and brands diversify, they need to fully represent their business interests online. It is also crucial to maintain an easy experience for internal users or admins whilst keeping maintenance costs under control. A WordPress multisite ticks the boxes.
WHAT IS A WORDPRESS MULTISITE?
Simply put, a WordPress Multisite allows you to create a network of websites, with their own URLs, all within a single WordPress install. If you’ve ever started your very own blog via WordPress then you are already part of a massive 300mil + install
WHY WOULD I WANT ONE OF THEM?
If you have a group of related businesses with one overall brand identity, similar functionality requirements, common plugins and one overall manager (a super admin) then a WordPress Multisite may be for you. However, if you use a multisite set up when it’s not right for your business, it will be a headache in the future for everyone concerned – so seriously consider your options before going down this road.
FEATURES AND BENEFITS OF A WORDPRESS MULTISITE
- A single hosting cost
- One lot of framework/security & plugin updates
- Central control via super admin access
- Protecting your asset and keeping some control over your brand within a franchise arrangement
- Global businesses that require a number of sites with regional requirements
A WORDPRESS MULTISITE IN USE
Courvoisier needed a network of sites to satisfy their global markets.
Sites within the multisite network can be tailored to meet regional requirements. An example of this aside from language can be SEO specific to search behaviour in any given country. The commonality is the structure, look/feel, functionality of each site.
- A WordPress Multisite is not for you if you think that your contenders are going to have very different design or functionality requirements in the future.
- Check that your hosting can handle what you are about to do.
- Understand admin permissions. Once you create a WordPress Multisite, the super admin is born. This user can:
- Manage the access and level of responsibility of all users on all sites on your network
- Manage network and site features including access to plugins, themes and privacy settings
- Create new users and new sites
- Edit posts, pages, comments on any site without being added as a user to the site
- Reset passwords and change users’ profile details
- Access all the super admin menu items via the Network Admin dashboard Read more here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-manual-2/introduction-to-super-admin-user/
WHAT’S THE ALTERNATIVE
If you don’t want to relinquish your freedom to treat every site under your umbrella as an individual, then perhaps investing in tools to help you manage your site portfolio more effectively is a better fit. We love Manage-WP. This is a WordPress management dashboard that allows you to administer multiple sites from a user-friendly dashboard. Functions like a one-click framework & plugin updates, security scans and client reporting all make this a time-saving and productivity-boosting godsend. https://managewp.com/ Regardless of your site structure requirements, we always suggest that you really take time to consider your brief and ask your chosen agency some pretty direct questions before embarking on a web build project.
July sees another Independent retailers month come around which was born to give voice to, well, independent retailers. Click to find out more.
Before we look at how to target affluent consumers on social media, we must define who they are. Click to read further on our blog.
META DESCRIPTIONS & SEO TITLES
INTERNAL LINKS PLAY AN ESSENTIAL ROLE ON A WEBSITE.
WHAT ARE BACKLINKS & HOW TO GET THEM
WHY OPTIMISING IMAGES ON YOUR WEBSITE IS ESSENTIAL
Existing Business. New Website Following on from our blog on future-proof marketing for start-ups, here we look at one of the common pitfalls of starting up on a shoestring. Many established businesses approach us for a new website usually for one of the...
GDPR in practice: what happens now? It felt like that GDPR deadline was looming for months. In the week leading up to the 25 May deadline, almost all of us will have had our inboxes full of emails asking us to opt in to the various marketing lists we have joined over...
Six types of campaigns which encourage social media engagement Social media platforms are constantly moving the goalposts when it comes to what generates social media engagement. The only thing which remains consistent is the need to get those all important likes,...
Goal Conversions. What? Why? How? Website Goal Conversions are supremely important if you are concerned with measuring the ROI of your website. They’re also pretty darn important if you’re serious about digital growth and understanding your lead generation hot spots....