When to consider a wordpress multisite
Author Polly Buckland
Tues 28th August 2018
More and more, we are seeing clients with the requirement for a multisite set-up. As businesses and brands diversify, they need to fully represent their business interests online. It is also crucial to maintain an easy experience for internal users or admins whilst keeping maintenance costs under control. A WordPress multisite ticks the boxes.
WHAT IS A WORDPRESS MULTISITE?
Simply put, a WordPress Multisite allows you to create a network of websites, with their own URLs, all within a single WordPress install. If you’ve ever started your very own blog via WordPress then you are already part of a massive 300mil + install
WHY WOULD I WANT ONE OF THEM?
If you have a group of related businesses with one overall brand identity, similar functionality requirements, common plugins and one overall manager (a super admin) then a WordPress Multisite may be for you. However, if you use a multisite set up when it’s not right for your business, it will be a headache in the future for everyone concerned – so seriously consider your options before going down this road.
FEATURES AND BENEFITS OF A WORDPRESS MULTISITE
- A single hosting cost
- One lot of framework/security & plugin updates
- Central control via super admin access
- Protecting your asset and keeping some control over your brand within a franchise arrangement
- Global businesses that require a number of sites with regional requirements
A WORDPRESS MULTISITE IN USE
Courvoisier needed a network of sites to satisfy their global markets.
Sites within the multisite network can be tailored to meet regional requirements. An example of this aside from language can be SEO specific to search behaviour in any given country. The commonality is the structure, look/feel, functionality of each site.
- A WordPress Multisite is not for you if you think that your contenders are going to have very different design or functionality requirements in the future.
- Check that your hosting can handle what you are about to do.
- Understand admin permissions. Once you create a WordPress Multisite, the super admin is born. This user can:
- Manage the access and level of responsibility of all users on all sites on your network
- Manage network and site features including access to plugins, themes and privacy settings
- Create new users and new sites
- Edit posts, pages, comments on any site without being added as a user to the site
- Reset passwords and change users’ profile details
- Access all the super admin menu items via the Network Admin dashboard Read more here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-manual-2/introduction-to-super-admin-user/
WHAT’S THE ALTERNATIVE
If you don’t want to relinquish your freedom to treat every site under your umbrella as an individual, then perhaps investing in tools to help you manage your site portfolio more effectively is a better fit. We love Manage-WP. This is a WordPress management dashboard that allows you to administer multiple sites from a user-friendly dashboard. Functions like a one-click framework & plugin updates, security scans and client reporting all make this a time-saving and productivity-boosting godsend. https://managewp.com/ Regardless of your site structure requirements, we always suggest that you really take time to consider your brief and ask your chosen agency some pretty direct questions before embarking on a web build project.
In this blog, we concentrate on the realities of running social media for your business and what your business can expect from social media. Click to read.
Facebook vs Instagram has been going on for years, as they both compete to be the frontrunner when it comes to social media. Click to read more.
META DESCRIPTIONS & SEO TITLES
INTERNAL LINKS PLAY AN ESSENTIAL ROLE ON A WEBSITE.
WHAT ARE BACKLINKS & HOW TO GET THEM
WHY OPTIMISING IMAGES ON YOUR WEBSITE IS ESSENTIAL
6 SEO points to consider before creating content. From planning to publishing, everything you need to know to make your website content work for you.
Using social media when you are a small business owner can be time-consuming. Social media fails are bound to happen time to time.
There are so many pieces of software that are designed to save you time. The conflicting advice comes from every angle on best practice. It is hard to keep up. This blog covers hopefully uncovers all those pitfalls that lead to those big social media fails.